Bruges, Belgium

Tuesday, October 11, 2022

When you think of Belgium, what is the first city that comes to mind? Brussels, Antwerp, Ghent? I was on the same boat until I traveled well over 24 hours to get to Bruges (Brugge), Belgium. It's a charming little city boasting with so much life and extremely friendly residents. I do want to highlight that there are no direct flights into Bruges. I flew into Brussels and my options were to hop onto a train or take a private car/taxi. I went with the latter and fell asleep during the two hour transit (the hotel arranged for my driver to meet me at the airport). Bruges was so magical and since it's so much higher up in the equator compared to San Diego, it was still bright at 11PM!!! This was at the end of June 2022! Watch the rest of my trip below and continue on for more pictures!


Adrienne Nguyen_Explore Bruges Belgium
Adrienne Nguyen_Bruges Belgium Boat Tour

One of the things I had to do in Bruges was hop on a boat tour. I was astonished how thirty minutes passed by so quickly. As I was on the boat a swan swam towards me! It's exactly what you would imagine in a postcard or fairytale. I learned so much about the history of Bruges in addition to important buildings! There were some spots where we had to duck or risk losing our heads... no joke... some bridges had an extremely low clearance. Even though it does look peaceful from my camera lens, there were so many people on the street.

Adrienne Nguyen_Bruges Belgium Boat Tour_Swans_rozenhoedkaai_Quay of the Rosary
Adrienne Nguyen_Bruges Belgium Boat Tour_Swans_rozenhoedkaai_Quay of the Rosary
Adrienne Nguyen_Bruges Belgium Boat Tour_Swans_rozenhoedkaai_Quay of the Rosary at Night_Bruges at Night

If capturing iconic pictures around the world is one of the things you enjoy, I would highly recommend visiting Rozenhoedkaai at night; it's breathtaking. You'll see that the perimeter of this canal is lined with photographers (professional and amateur). They have their camera on their tripod, along with numerous lenses to snap the moment the sun sets to produce this blue glow behind the buildings. I don't typically bring a DSLR when I travel however, I do believe an iPhone does an equally good job of snapping the essence of the scene.

Adrienne Nguyen_Bruges Belgium Boat Tour_Swans_rozenhoedkaai_Quay of the Rosary_2be shop_2be bar_the beerwall

If you scroll back up, you'll see a weeping willow towering over the canal. That is where The Beerwall /2be bar and shop is located. I don't drink so I was pleasantly surprised to find that they had non-alcoholic options though they were limited. Menus are attached to elastic from the ceiling and you can pull it down to see what they have. Their beer menu seems pretty extensive and it's a great place to go if you're looking to meet other tourists... I don't think this is the kind of place locals frequent.

Adrienne Nguyen_Bruges Belgium_The Pand Hotel_Ralph Lauren Suite_New Dawn Suite

Now you may be wondering why I was in Bruges in the first place. I actually went for work, not just vacation! This is the first work trip I took AND the first time going internationally since the pandemic hit! Bruges was a great place to reignite my love for travel and exploration.

Adrienne Nguyen_Bruges Belgium_site oud sint-jan

The Conference was held at Site Oud Sint-Jan which was founded in the mid-12th century and contains some of Europe's oldest surviving hospital buildings. I didn't think much of it until I had a peculiar experience in the bathroom. I've never ran so fast in my life! I won't divulge the details here but let's just say I wouldn't want to be in this area at night... especially by myself.

Adrienne Nguyen_Bruges Belgium_site oud sint-jan

The picture above was taken from the open window in the only women's bathroom that's accessible to invited members of the building.

Adrienne Nguyen_Bruges Belgium_WorkWear_Business Professional_Boss Bitch_Women in Science

What kind of post would this be if I didn't show my outfit, right?! This is what I wore to the second day of the conference. I was unable to attend the first day since I missed my connecting flight from Manchester to Brussels. I was operating on just 3 hours of sleep so if I look a bit tired, that's why!

Adrienne Nguyen_Bruges Belgium
Adrienne Nguyen_Bruges Belgium_Belgian Waffle_Chez Albert_Chocolate Strawberry Belgian Waffle in Belgium

One of the things I absolutely had to try before departing Belgium was a Belgian waffle! I researched so many different locations and Chez Albert had the best reviews. I was shocked with the winding line but I decided to join it. I waited approximately 10 minutes to get my waffle. For those who are curious, I got the waffle with strawberries, chocolate drizzle and whipped cream. IT WAS DELICIOUS. A bit sweet but I enjoyed it nonetheless!

Adrienne Nguyen_Bruges Belgium_Belgian Waffle_Chez Albert_Chocolate Strawberry Belgian Waffle in Belgium
Adrienne Nguyen_Bruges Belgium_Belgian Waffle_Traveling Around Alone_Solo Travel
Adrienne Nguyen_Bruges Belgium_Traveling Around Alone_Solo Travel
Adrienne Nguyen_Bruges Belgium_Traveling Around Alone_Solo Travel
Adrienne Nguyen_Bruges Belgium_Traveling Around Alone_Solo Travel
Adrienne Nguyen_Bruges Belgium_Traveling Around Alone_Solo Travel
Adrienne Nguyen_Bruges Belgium_Traveling Around Alone_Solo Travel
Adrienne Nguyen_Bruges Belgium_Traveling Around Alone_Solo Travel
Adrienne Nguyen_Bruges Belgium_Traveling Around Alone_Solo Travel

After looking through my pictures, I realized I ate A LOT of salmon during my European adventure. This was a dish I ate at Bistro t'Lammetje which is situated diagonally from the hotel. Although they were all unique, I prefer the American preparation of salmon.

Adrienne Nguyen_Bruges Belgium_Travel Europe Solo_Traveling the World Alone
Adrienne Nguyen_Bruges Belgium_Travel Europe Solo_Traveling the World Alone
Adrienne Nguyen_Bruges Belgium_Travel Europe Solo_Traveling the World Alone
Adrienne Nguyen_Bruges Belgium_Travel Europe Solo_Traveling the World Alone_Church of Our Lady in Bruges
Adrienne Nguyen_Bruges Belgium_Travel Europe Solo_Traveling the World Alone_Church of Our Lady in Bruges_Madonna and Child_Michelangelo

One of the things I was fortunate to see in person was Michelangelo's Madonna and Child located in The Church of Our Lady. It was his only work to have left Italy. The craftsmanship that went into carving this marble sculpture is impressive. Not too sure if you can see it from my photo but if you compare Michelangelo's marble work to the other two on the side, the difference is obvious.

Adrienne Nguyen_Bruges Belgium_Travel Europe Solo_Traveling the World Alone_View from the Belfry Tower

Another team bonding activity my colleagues and I did was climb the Belfry Tower. It was unfortunately pouring all day and it made the climb that much more dangerous. The steps become progressively steep and narrow as you approach the top. Another caveat? There is only one set of stairs for people to go up or down. There are some spots where you quite literally have to back track to allow people to pass. Was it worth it? Absolutely. The views were incredible and apparently you can see numerous other cities on a clear day. We didn't realize that the bell was about to ring so as we were admiring the sights, the bell began to rang and frightened us all.

Adrienne Nguyen_Bruges Belgium_Travel Europe Solo_Traveling the World Alone_Belfry Tower Bell
Adrienne Nguyen_Bruges Belgium_Travel Europe Solo_Traveling the World Alone_Belfry Tower Bruges
Adrienne Nguyen_Bruges Belgium_Travel Europe Solo_Traveling the World Alone

The virgin mojitos were delicious everywhere! My last meal in Bruges was at Au Petit Grand. It's a little bit off the beaten path but this was one of the best restaurants I dined at in Bruges. I chose a 3-course meal and my appetizer was the best garlic bread I've eaten so far!

Adrienne Nguyen_Bruges Belgium_Au Petit Grand
Adrienne Nguyen_Bruges Belgium_Au Petit Grand
Adrienne Nguyen_Bruges Belgium_Travel Solo_Wander the World
Adrienne Nguyen_Bruges Belgium_Travel Solo_Wander the World
Adrienne Nguyen_Bruges Belgium_Travel Solo_Wander the World
Adrienne Nguyen_Bruges Belgium_Travel Solo_Wander the World
Adrienne Nguyen_Bruges Belgium_Travel Europe Solo_Traveling the World Alone
Adrienne Nguyen_The Pand Hotel in Bruges Belgium_Small Luxury Hotels of the World_Tea Break in Salon Lobby

I'm sure some of you are wondering where I chose to stay during my short time in Bruges. If you're curious, continue reading!

Adrienne Nguyen_The Pand Hotel in Bruges Belgium_Small Luxury Hotels of the World_Salon_Hotel Bar

The above pictures were taken at the bar inside The Pand Hotel. After a long day of exploring Bruges in the rain, I stopped by the hotel bar with my colleagues. I opted for some green tea to make myself feel all warm and fuzzy. The bar exudes a very vintage ambiance and it felt like I was transported back in time... When things moved at a slower pace and people actually enjoyed their day... just sitting back, sipping on their favorite drink and talking to their family or looking out the window. I must admit that Europeans appear to enjoy a slower moving life. Shops don't open up until 10AM and they close early. Finding a store that's open on the weekend is next to impossible in some regions.

There was a quote from Emily in Paris that stuck with me. For those of you who are fans, there was a scene where Luc told Emily, "You live to work. We work to live." I am aware that it's a chick flick drama tv series that has garnered a very controversial reputation however, I thought that was a pretty powerful line. Anyone else? It's all about your mindset but Americans are conditioned to have a 9 to 5 and continue doing the same thing until they retire. We look forward to weekends because that's when we actually get to "live." Thoughts?

Adrienne Nguyen_The Pand Hotel in Bruges Belgium_Small Luxury Hotels of the World_Front Exterior

Wondering what the exterior of the hotel looks like? This is the path leading to the hotel which is situated on the right. It's tree lined and when the rain and wind picks up, it just sounds magical.

Adrienne Nguyen_The Pand Hotel in Bruges Belgium_Small Luxury Hotels of the World_Hotel Lobby
Adrienne Nguyen_The Pand Hotel in Bruges Belgium_Small Luxury Hotels of the World_Reception
Adrienne Nguyen_Bruges Belgium_The Pand Hotel Small Luxury Hotels of the World
Adrienne Nguyen_The Pand Hotel Entrance
Adrienne Nguyen_New Dawn Ralph Lauren Suite_The Pand Hotel_Bruges Belgium
Adrienne Nguyen_Bruges Belgium_The Pand Hotel Small Luxury Hotels of the World

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay in Bruges and at The Pand Hotel. The hotel staff was just so friendly and and I would highly recommend this hotel to everyone! On my last day, I needed to catch a train to Brussels --> London --> Manchester. The taxi was delayed due to traffic so a member of the hotel staff, I completely forgot his name but he was incredibly sweet, took me in his personal car to the train station! That's what you call going above and beyond!

The same person who drove me to the train station was also around during breakfast and took my order; I thoroughly enjoyed their vegetarian omelette each morning.

Oh, while my colleagues and I were there. We found out that Duran Duran was staying at the same hotel. We came back late from dinner (around 11PM) and quite literally waited in the lobby for them! Unfortunately, the clock struck midnight and we decided to call it quits. One of my colleagues stayed in a room right above the entrance and heard them come upstairs!

Adrienne Nguyen_Bruges Belgium_The Pand Hotel Small Luxury Hotels of the World_Breakfast Made to Order Omelette
Adrienne Nguyen_The Pand Hotel in Bruges Belgium_Small Luxury Hotels of the World_Breakfast
Adrienne Nguyen_Bruges Belgium_The Pand Hotel Small Luxury Hotels of the World_Breakfast

Places to See and Things to Eat

Sites, Landmarks and Museums 1. Site Oud Sint-Jan: one of the oldest hospitals in Europe 2. View from Rozenhoedkaai: the iconic viewpoint in Bruges 3. View from Katelijnestraat: pretty swan lake view 4. Burg Square: admire the intricate details of the buildings in this square 5. Markt: go for the sites and stay for the food 6. Belfry Tower: the view is worth ALLL the steps and potential falls 7. Groeningemuseum: if you're an art aficionado, this is the museum for you 8. Church of Our Lady - Madonna and Child: the only piece by Michelangelo to ever leave Italy Food and Breweries 1. De Halve Maan Brewery: brewing beer for 500 years and counting 2. 2be shop/ The Beerwall: they have non-alcoholic bottled drink options 3. Chez Albert: there's always a line but the waffles are delicious 4. Bistro t'Lammetje: make a reservation because this place gets packed fast 5. Otomat: get the "ritmo de la nacho" - you won't regret it; best pizza fusion I've ever had 6. Au Petit Grand: off the city center but well worth a try; I got a 3 course meal and it was delish Follow me on the rest of my adventure!

XO,
Adrienne

You Might Also Like

0 Comments