Outpatient Pharmacy

Thursday, October 26, 2017

Adrienne Nguyen_Invictus_Pharmacy Student_Life as a Retail Pharmacist_What does a Pharmacist Do

When I began pharmacy school, I came in with the mentality that I would later pursue a career in industry. I never considered any other path but if my first year has taught me anything, it's that people change paths very often. I actually changed majors as an undergrad from Biomedical Engineering to Biological Sciences. Not much of a leap however, I took fewer Math and Chemistry classes! I digress... People often say that you should have a plan in life. To know what you're supposed to do early on but wouldn't that be boring? Besides, life is complicated.

My summer research PI wanted me to experience the outpatient pharmacy setting so I headed over to the sister hospital in Escondido for a week. The pharmacists and pharm techs welcomed me with open arms. I have never been in a retail pharmacy setting so I was a bit ditzy on the first day. I learned a bit about the legal aspects of pharmacy which reinforced everything taught in my Law and Ethics class. However, I didn't learn much about the computer programs since I was only there for a week. What I was able to do was get acquainted with the drugs on site - from what this pharmacy considered "fast-movers" to specialty meds.

Here's what I learned during my short time at the outpatient pharmacy:

Pharmacists do more than blindly dispense medication.
I was exposed to many different fields during my first year in school but prior to embarking on a career in pharmacy, I didn't consider this notion. I cannot speak on behalf of retail pharmacies within the community since I have never been exposed to that particular environment however, pharmacists in the outpatient settings do so much more than just dispense. 

Okay, so let's back up. What is an outpatient pharmacy?
If you asked me a year ago, I would have given you a blank stare. But I know better now (*insert emoji with puffed up chest (: *). This is your traditional retail pharmacy (typically seen inside markets or chained stores such as CVS or Costco) within a hospital setting. It's typically in the lobby in an area convenient for customers and patients looking to pick up their medication before leaving the hospital; the one I interned at was located inside the gift shop. I did some research on outpatient pharmacies and this seems to be a pretty popular business model. The picture I took above was right behind the cashier - it looks just like a retail pharmacy! 

What does an outpatient pharmacist do?
LOTS! It's true that they do count and dispense medication but they take on additional roles ranging from counseling to medication therapy management (MTM). As seen in a retail setting, pharmacists provide patients with personalized consultations based on whether or not they've taken a particular medication before or if there are possible interactions with drugs. Helpful hint: DOWNLOAD A DRUG APP ON YOUR PHONE; it'll be beneficial for studying and in the field. But Palomar takes patient care to a whole new level. From what I witnessed, if a patient requests to speak to a pharmacist in person, one of the pharmacists on duty will actually pack up the medication, along with the supporting documents and venture to the patient's room! Talk about quality service! Some patients may appreciate the service while others may take it for granted. 

There are many benefits to an outpatient pharmacy including but not limited to the continuity of care within a single system. But one of the downfalls? Having to be on your feet all day! On slow days, it feels like there are a lot of people in the pharmacy within nothing to do but on those fast moving days, it feels as if there aren't enough people to answer the phones! From my week at the outpatient pharmacy, I learned that one must be able to communicate effectively to patients and other health care professionals. What do you guys think about outpatient pharmacies? Would you ever work in one?


XO,
Adrienne

You Might Also Like

0 Comments