Perspective of a Pharmacy School Interviewer

Monday, July 09, 2018

* All pictures are my own - you can find them on my VSCO account *
I can't believe I'm halfway done with school! I've never experienced a year long worth of courses that were so academically and mentally demanding... but I'll save that for another day. This particular post has been a long time coming! For those of you who follow me on Instagram @adriennenguyenn, you already know that I had the pleasure and honor of interviewing potential Pharm.D. candidates for the Class of 2022. I previously wrote about my California Pharmacy School Interviews as an interviewee. But oh how the tables turned. This post will be my insider's report of being on the flip side as a pharmacy school interviewer. There are a few tricks of the trade that will get you a few brownie points here and there so I'll be sure to include all those juicy hints below!  I would like to disclose that my blog is in no way associated with UCSD Skaggs School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences but rather a way for me to share my thoughts and opinions. 

1. Be Present
I know this sounds obvious but you'll be surprised at how many people aren't around when their name is called. You may want to wander around the campus or connect with potential classmates but stay close. Every pharmacy school is very transparent about interview times and they do expect you to be ready to follow your guide or interviewer to the room. FIRST IMPRESSIONS MATTER! Allow yourself ample time to use the bathroom, freshen your breath, snack on goodies or calm your nerves well before your interview slot. Which brings me to my next point.

         

2. Be Calm
Easier said than done, right? When I was on the midst of my interview trail, I downloaded a generic set of questions and practiced responding to them in front of a mirror. It sounds a bit weird and gets tedious fast but I noticed weird quirks I made as I spoke. For instance, I noticed that I use my hands superfluously.

Im'ma Chill GIF - ImmaChill ImGood NoThanks GIFs

Okay, maybe not THAT much but from micro-analyzing all my movements, I was able to adjust and control myself. As I sat on the other side of the table, I noticed a variety of candidates with such juxtaposing personalities. Some had their hands under the table the entire time or didn't blink while others rifled through their notepad or fidgeted around with their pen. These actions, or lack thereof, can be distracting and draw away from the message you're trying to convey.

No matter how confident you are, nerves have a way of getting the best of us. Try spending some time figuring out your strengths and weaknesses when it comes to interviewing. Work on posture, eye contact, enunciation and speed of response. One of my mentor's from undergrad gave me golden advice to help center myself. What was it you might ask? Simply take 3 deep breaths before entering the interview room. It'll help lessen any jitters you might have and I've found that it reduces my heart rate.

In my experience, I got better as the interview season progressed. It's cliché but practice makes perfect. The interview is a way for the school to determine whether or not you would be a good fit and if you can handle all the challenges of the profession. But it's also a chance for you to show, WHY THE SCHOOL NEEDS YOU. What can you contribute? What are your interests? Give each school 💯

3. Be Attentive
Didn't catch the questions the first time round? Politely ask your interviewer to repeat the questions or rephrase if you thought it was confusing. I know we're all Type A and want to get things done right the first time but it's okay to ask for clarification. I personally don't think it's rude and I understand that you may have been trying to gather yourself from your last response that you missed a snippet of the question.


Listen. Listen. Listen. Some candidates blatantly disregard the fact that they missed the essence of the question and respond to what they believe they heard. The professor who interviewed alongside me tried to rephrase a question after one of the candidate's response was a bit too farfetched. Understand that we're not out to get you. We simply want to get to know how you think and see how you form responses under pressure.

 4. Be Honest and Prepared
UCSD is OPEN FILE. We expect you to know your file and be prepared to questions about your personal statement, research or work experience. A fellow interviewer recognized someone who wrote a letter of recommendation for one of the candidates. Long story short, she went out on her own volition and made contact to determine whether or not this potential Pharm. D. candidate who be a good fit in pharmacy. This was an isolated occurrence but it goes to show that this could happen to anyone!

5. Ask Questions 
Do your research. Interviewers want to see why you're interested in attending their institution. Anyone applying to UCSD knows that research is a big component. In no way do you have to be interested in research to attend but understand that to graduate, you must complete a research project and present during your 4th year. Some interviewers want your extracurriculars to show dedication to pharmacy but I'm living, breathing proof that you don't need ANY experience in the field prior to entering pharmacy school. Sure, you'd have tremendous advantages over those lacking experience however, I personally like seeing applicants who spend time doing other things they love. It's all about commitment. Have a passion for the ocean? Why not inquire about getting involved with Scripps Institute of Oceanography. Have a passion for photography? Ask if there's a photography club. Your questions don't have to be related to pharmacy! Keep it interesting - you'll be more memorable that way!

 I am in no way an expert interviewer. These are opinions I have formed based on personal observation. Have suggestions on what I topics I should include in my next pharmacy post? Leave a comment in my Suggestions box on the sidebar to your right!

See more of my pharmacy posts HERE.

Best of luck to everyone!

*All GIFS were found on Google Images*

XO,
Adrienne

You Might Also Like

0 Comments